Digital Pigg-O-Stat Immobilizer
The Pigg-O-Stat Pediatric Immobilizer and Positioner is approximately 20″ x 20″ x 35″ (50cm x 55cm x 88 cm) in height. Stainless steel table with 4″ (7.5cm) casters, 2 are locking. The table top and shelf are made of high density polyethylene in child-pleasing primary colors which requires little to no maintenance and is virtually indestructible. Other moving parts are heavy plexiglass.
- Seat platform turns on bearings.
- The scale in degree readings on table top ensures exact duplication of positions for re-check examinations.
- There is an adjustable seat at the back of the table top with openings for patients legs (Note – Picture to the right is of the analog version).
- Seat platform can be rotated horizontally to any degree and position.
- Form-fitting body, head and arm supports of transparent plexiglass are provided.
- Adjustable for patients from infants to 3-1/2 years of normal size for age.
- Lead shield has adjustable conventional markers and adjusts up and down for various examinations.
- Elimination of position and immobilizing problems makes it easier to make exposure at proper stage of respiration.
- Positioning clamps are at the rear of the table top so entire immobilizer can be put as close as possible to your image receptor.
- Device is easily cleaned and sterilized.
- The Product will last for years and years with proper care.
- Note: Digital Immobilizer does not have cassette holder/Image receptor holder.
Additional Information and Background on the Pigg-O-Stat Immobilizer
Since 1960, the Pigg-O-Stat has been the world’s top clinically-proven, time-tested and medically-trusted pediatric immobilizer. It’s for this reason that it’s also the premier choice for pediatricians, doctors and medical professionals around the world.
Designed for positioning infants and young children alike for x-rays, the Pigg-O-Stat ensures that the child is secured safely, allowing the x-ray technician to complete their work efficiently without any complications. This means that the amount of time that the child is exposed to radiation is significantly reduced as technicians are able to capture a great picture on their first try. Without the Pigg-O-Stat, the medical professionals and/or parents would also risk spending a lot of time exposed to the radiation due to having to keep the child as still as possible for the x-ray.
The Pigg-O-Stat Guarantee
The Pigg-O-Stat is guaranteed by its inventing manufacturer, Modern Way Immobilizers. While our 99% approval rate by medical experts proves that our equipment is dependable, durable, and long-lasting, we provide a full one year warranty on defective parts.
To ensure the highest quality of workmanship, all devices are inspected prior to distribution. Even though the parts will withstand significant stress and strain for long durations to perform its purpose, the plexiglass parts are not guaranteed against breakage.
How to Use A Pigg-O-Stat Pediatric Immobilizer
What You Will Need:
The Pigg-O-Stat immobilizer, fully equipped with:
- Comfortable Seating
- Both Small and Large Supports
- Leather head straps attached to the Supports
- Preparing the Pigg-O-Stat Immobilizer – It is important to make sure that the Pigg-O-Stat immobilizer is prepared whilst taking into account the child’s age and weight before you begin the procedure. This can be done using the small or large supports. For patients still within infancy, use the small supports; for patients out of infancy (but are less than two years old), use the larger supports.
- Seating the Patient – Having selected the correct supports for the patient, place the patient within the immobilizer. Ensure that the patient’s feet are positioned on either side of the seat. Most patient’s feet will likely be airborne – this is preferable as it prevents the patient from moving around too much.
- Raise the Patient’s Arms Above Their Heads – Now that the patient is seated comfortably, raise the patient’s arms vertically above their heads. It is important to raise their arms high above their heads as this prevents their arms from being X-rayed. Moreover, this further aids with ensuring that the patient remains still.
- Secure the Supports – Having seated and positioned the patient on the Pigg-O-Stat, the next step is to close the supports around the patient, securing them into place. Without physically harming the patient, lock the supports into place around and as close to the patient as possible. This is another step in ensuring reduced mobility, and when secured properly, will not cause any pain or discomfort to the patient.
- Immobilize the Patient’s Head – Once you have immobilized the patient’s body movement by closing the supports, the next step is to secure the patient’s head in place. This is done by using the leather straps on the Pigg-O-Stat’s supports. Line up the patient’s head by bringing forward so that it is parallel with the body – ensure that both the head and the body are upright. Fasten the leather strap around the body from the left-side support to the right-side support. Ensure that the strap is tight enough so that the patient is unable to freely move their head. This will not cause any physical harm and will prevent the patient from any accidental self-harm whilst the X-ray is in process.
- The Final Check – The patient should have their arms high above their heads, and should not have any room within the Pigg-O-Stat immobilizer to move around or escape. This restraint is important in achieving better radiographic imagery but also prevents the patient from self-harm.
How to Properly Care For the Pediatric Immobilizer
Taking proper care for your Pigg-O-Stat is relatively straight forward. When cleaning up the immobilizer, sterilize the equipment with Zephiran Chloride. Ensure that the plexiglass that makes up the supports is always cleaned using a soft sponge or cloth, with soapy water. Once cleaned, rinse with clear water.
When it comes to durability, the Pigg-O-Stat is comfortably able to withstand multiple times the required weight and stress for proper use. This has been proven by extensive use and testing over five decades. That being said, caution is advised if the immobilizer is dropped or suffers a hard blow.
It is worth noting, that should the moving parts on the pediatric immobilizer become difficult to secure after extensive use, a few drops of oil will suffice to ensure smooth use.